Cornwall Christmas Box
Welcome to Cornwall Christmas Box.
Last year we collected just short of 120 Christmas hampers from collection points around Cornwall and delivered them to Social Services teams in Truro and St. Austell for distribution to families in need at Christmas.
Many thanks to all of the amazingly generous people who took the time, made the effort and put a hamper together. This helped around 120 families (between 450 and 650 people) and the giving amounts to the equivalent of around £3,300. Awesome!
We also heard many wonderful stories – about how doing this has impacted those giving and the trouble and effort people have gone to in order to help out those less fortunate. Thank you all so much for your involvement.
For 2016 we will be running the scheme again. If you would like to be involved, keep an eye on our Facebook page and nearer the time, start to look for special offers in the shops. It’s often possible to find BOGOFs and deals which mean you can put together a box for less than you’d think.
Christmas dinner in a box! Donate food for a family of 4 – 6 to celebrate this Christmas
Each box contains enough food for Christmas dinner with all the extra little goodies, treats like mince pies and biscuits, and of course Christmas pudding – which all go to make up a feast for a family in need. Due to storage and distribution limitations we can’t accept fresh food but there are plenty of good things to eat that can still be included. A typical box costs around £30 but you can share the cost by getting together with friends, neighbours and colleagues to fill a box together. The boxes will be distributed by Cornwall Council’s ‘Children’s Early Help, Social Care and Psychology Service’ team and some Children’s Centres to families in need.
Donate a box
Here’s what to do!
- Print out the checklist (click here to download printable pdf)
- Get shopping! Make sure that everything you buy for the box will still be in date at Christmas.
- Cover a closable cardboard box in Christmas paper – we need it to have proper close-able portions that fold over so we can transport the boxes more easily!
- Tick off each item on the checklist as you put it into the box. You can add other items too – please let us know what else is in your box by writing it in the space at the bottom of the checklist
- Drop it off at one of the collection points by Tuesday 13th December, we’ll be collecting them on Wednesday 14th December.
You can also help by telling us that you’re planning to donate a box – drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or get in touch via Facebook or Twitter – this will help us to plan ahead so that we can make sure that each box goes to someone who needs it.
- Lucy Jenner-Brown PR & Events, 5 Wesley Yard, Newquay. TR7 1LB
- Relish Food and Drink, Foundry Court, Wadebridge. PL27 7QN
- The Laid-back Coffee Co, Alexandra Rd, Porth TR7 3NB (Next to Roo’s Beach Shop)
- Trevose Golf Club at Constantine Bay, Padstow PL28 8JB.
- NEW Out of the Box Cornish Craft House, Unit 4, Woods Browning Industrial Estate, Respryn Road, Bodmin, PL31 1DQ
- NEW Nicki B’s Pasty Shop, 22 Fore St, Port Isaac PL29 3RB
- Barefoot Media, Little Trewollack, St Wenn, Bodmin. PL30 5PL
- St Austell Childrens Centre, Woodland Rd, St Austell. PL25 4RA
- Treverbyn Community Hall, Treverbyn Road, Stenalees, PL26 8TL Please avoid the beginning and end of the school day when dropping off here, as their road gets very busy.
- Control Print, Cardrew Industrial Estate, Redruth. TR15 1SS
- Whole Again Communities,Treneere Estate at Colinsey Road, Penzance. TR18 3NZ. Please only on Thursdays between 10am and 2pm, as the centre is staffed by volunteers, and they can’t guarantee anyone will be around at other times of the week!
Falmouth and Penryn
- Jolly Sailor CrossFit, Long Downs Ind Est, Penryn. TR10 9NA (Mon – Fri 8:30am – 1:00pm, 4:00pm – 8:30pm. Not available for drop off between 9:30am-10:45am Tue and Thur)
- Falmouth Natural Health, 30/31 Church Street, Falmouth, TR11 3EQ. Open 9-4 Mon – Thur, 9-6 Fri
- Pasty Emporium, 60 Church Street, Falmouth, TR11 3DS (in conjunction with Falmouth Harbour Chiropractor at 58 Church Street)
- Truro Vineyard Church, c/o Trelander Children’s Centre, Truro, TR1 1PH, during our collection service on Sunday 11 December only.
- Clive Pearce Property, 31 Lemon St., Truro. TR1 2LS
- Whyfield, Building A, Green Court, Truro Business Park, Threemilestone, Truro. TR4 9LF
- Epiphany House, Truro. TR1 3DR
- Polwhele House Primary School, Truro, Cornwall. TR4 9AE (For parents of their pupils only.)
- Anderson Lloyd LLP, 10 Strangways Terrace, Truro TR1 2NY
- Pollaughan Holiday Cottages, Portscatho, Roseland Peninsula, TR2 5EH
- Please ring if you’re planning to drop off a box, so that someone can be in to receive it. 01872 580150
Ways to support Cornwall Christmas Box
Here are some of the ways that you can help Cornwall Christmas Box this year:
- Donate a box!
- Get together with colleagues, friends, neighbours and anyone else you can persuade to join you, to donate a box
- Ask whether your school, church or business could act as a collection point.
- Donate some storage space! If you have room to store boxes donated between now and 14th December we’d love to hear from you
- And finally – spread the word! Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and tell your friends and contacts about Cornwall Christmas box
If you don’t live in Cornwall and would like to run something like this near your home, we are planning to produce a ‘how to run a Christmas Box scheme’ pack in the New Year. Drop us your details, and we’ll put you on the list to be sent a copy.
How it all started…
Christmas is a time of joy and celebration but for those living on the breadline, Christmas can emphasise the difficulty of their circumstances. For the past 13 years, Truro Vineyard church have been collecting Christmas dinner boxes to give away through Cornwall Council’s Social Services team to those in need. We hope that these Christmas boxes help people to share in God’s goodness and to celebrate the new hope brought about through Jesus’s birth. As more churches, organisations and groups of friends have joined us in recent years to gather more Christmas boxes, this year we have decided to open the opportunity to anyone in Cornwall to donate a box, knowing that it will help to make Christmas better for a family in need.
Find out more: Truro Vineyard Church